FirefighterToolbox Podcast/ Internet Radio Show Episode #021
A Discussion with Buffy Schilling about firefighter health and fitness
About this Episode:
Intro Provided by: Chief Rob Fling, Dix Hills Vol. Fire Dept, Dix Hills (Long Island), NY
In this episode David talks with Buffy Schilling about firefighter health and fitness and very specific items that affect our health both on and off the fire ground.
Firefighting as you know is a very physically demanding job, so to be great, we need to be fit and have our health in order. So we share some keys for being healthy and fit.
We also discuss:
- The importance of hydration and the effects that soda and caffeine have on the body.
- Does drinking milk, coffee and other drinks count towards staying hydrated?
- How much water should we be drinking?
- What are some of the best habits we can get into for positive feelings in our bodies?
- What is her opinion on the importance for firefighters to weight train?
- What is the #1 thing she felt got her through the academy
- How can someone get started if they have not worked out before or need to get back in shape?
- How can we stay motivated?
- How important is sleep and how can we get it?
This and more.
About Buffy Schilling:
Buffy Schilling is a career firefighter and nationally registered EMT-P with over 12 years experience in the fire service. She specializes in firefighter fitness, health & wellness. Buffy has trained many firefighters and even Olympic athletes. Buffy has advised, consulted and coached other firefighters and fire departments. She is currently co-writing a cookbook with a special emphasis on proper nutrition.
About the FirefighterToolbox Podcast/Internet Radio Show
The FirefighterToolbox Podcast/Internet Radio Show is an audio program for up and coming firefighters and leaders who want to become better and at the ever evolving skill of firefighting and to continue growing into a better leader.
We interview great firefighters and officers and others who can bring great ideas, insights and information and share it with us so we can take our firefighting, leadership and life skills to the next level.
New episodes every Tuesday. (Most listen to it on the commute to work, working out, doing chores or as a company training.)
To learn more about the show– Click Here
Please provide an iTunes rating – Click Here
Get the Podcast on your Phone – Click Here
Listen to More Episodes – Click Here