Firefighter Training Episode 045 about how to force entry by going through the lock
Listen in to this firefighter training podcast and learn:
- How to do a force/entry size up
- How to determine the correct strategy for forcing a door.
- The how-to’s on forcing entry by going thru-the-lock.
In this firefighter training episode, Sean Wilson of Search & Destroy Fire Training gives us a quick guide on the whys and hows of forcible entry. We discuss:
- The 2 major elements that affect your approach on making a forced entry.
- Why fire service personnel should care about minimizing property damage.
- Always bring your irons as Plan B.
- The different kinds of locks, where you can find them, and what you can use to open them.
- Why you should always have your tools with you on every call.
- Benefits of having a forcible entry bag.
- The 3-step process of force entry through the lock
- Getting your hands dirty: How and where to get some practice.
Intro by Mark VonAppen
Sean Wilson Bio:
SEAN WILSON is a career firefighter who has been employed by the city of Royal Oak, Michigan for the past fourteen years. He’s taught at the Schoolcraft College Fire Academy since 2001 as a certified fire instructor, and served as the head fitness trainer for ten years. Prior to beginning his fire service career, Sean served on active duty as a military policeman in the United States Air Force, where he was involved in the Emergency Response Team (SWAT) while stationed in Texas, North Dakota, Saudi Arabia, and Italy. He holds a certification as a Personal Fitness Trainer from World Instructor Training Schools. The groundwork for what would become Search & Destroy Fire Training began as a way for Sean to stay active in firefighting while recuperating from surgery after a fireground injury. Search & Destroy was formed as an LLC training company in 2010 and has taught hundreds of Midwestern firefighters the finer points of forcible entry. Sean’s wife Erin is also a career firefighter in another city with seven years on the job. Together they have two daughters.
About the Firefighter Toolbox Podcast/Internet Radio Show
The Firefighter Toolbox Podcast/Internet Radio Show is an audio program for up and coming firefighters and leaders who want to become better at the ever evolving skill of firefighting and to continue growing into a better leader. We interview great firefighters, officers, and other authorities inside and outside of the fire service who bring great ideas, insights, and information to share with us so we can take our skills to the next level.
About The Game “Are You Smarter Than A Probie?”
David Soler and Firefighter Toolbox are also the creators of the “Are You Smarter Than A Probie?” game show. Listen in weekly as brave firefighters compete to answer 5 FFI/FFII questions on the hot seat and prove they are smarter than a probie. New episodes every Tuesday. (Most listen to it on the commute to work, working out, doing chores or as a company training.) To learn more about the show– Click Here —–
Mentions On The Show
- Connect with Sean and Search & Destroy on their Facebook page.
- For more information about iron work, see Mike Perrone’s work at Firehouse Innovation Corp.
- The tools mentioned in the interview can be found at Fire Hooks Unlimited’s website
- FDNY Forcible Entry Manual – Download Here
FE Tools Mentioned on the Show:
Please provide an iTunes rating – Click Here
Listen to More Episodes – Click Here
Get the Podcast on your Phone – Click Here